My 5-Step Guide to Leave No Trace While Getting Married Outside
Simply put, Leave No Trace is a set of ethics & best practices we should follow to enjoy and protect the outdoors at the same time.
Leave No Trace has a set of 7 minimum-impact principles, that help guide our decisions when we’re outside. You can find more about these principles HERE on their website. These principles are something I live by daily as I love to be outside and I constantly love being on an adventure.
With elopements and micro weddings being the best way to get married right now due to covid-19, Leave No Trace is something we should all care about – why you ask?
Well here is why:
The way we keep nature beautiful, so that we can continue to come back to these gorgeous spots time & time again, is to make sure that we enjoy them sustainably and responsibly.
Weddings, elopements, and photo sessions can have a big cumulative impact on the environment—and without following Leave No Trace, this is what could happen:
- Locations that are currently available for weddings, & elopements could become off-limits for special events and professional photography—meaning it could become impossible to come back to a location for a vow-renewal or anniversary session in 5 years.
- The spot that you said your vows could get so badly damaged, destroyed, or trashed that it needs to be closed for restoration, and won’t look the same at all when you want to come back in the future.
- The prevalence and costs of special event permits could spike, causing it to become very difficult to have any kind of events on public lands
So whether you find the outdoors peaceful, serene, awe-inspiring, or whatever’s drawing you to getting married in nature, we’re all in this together.
And together we believe it is possible to have the BEST day, while also protecting our natural world for future visitors.
By reducing our impact as we visit, photograph, and celebrate outdoors, we can protect these places we love! You don’t have to limit your celebration to reduce your impact–this guide will help you each step of the way as you plan, prepare, and finally get married somewhere beautiful!
Here are my 5 steps to Leave No Trace While Getting Married Outside:
- Pick your location & date – The place you get married is a decision that affects a large portion of your experience of getting married… so how do you pick the perfect place?
- Prepare your day – It’s time to start figuring out how to use the 7 Leave No Trace principles to guide the planning of your day
- Talk to your guests (if you have any!) – it’s time to start figuring out how to use the 7 Leave No Trace principles to guide the planning of your day.
- Enjoy your day – Your day is HERE! You’re ready to celebrate, party, & enjoy yourself. The best thing about Leave No Trace, is your awareness and preparation means that it’ll be second nature to you on your wedding day.
- Share your memories – After your day is over, the most amazing way to get to relive your memories is through your photos
If you’re looking for more details, click HERE to get my full Leave no Trace guide – I can’t wait to share more with you!