What is a First Look
As your wedding photographer, it is important to me that I am there to guide you and help you plan your perfect day. One of the questions couples usually ask me is if they should do a first look. I have shot hundreds of weddings and I love sharing advice with my couples on the things I have seen work well.
A lot of couples are under the misconception that if they do a first look, it will take away from the special moment of seeing each other for the first time at the altar or that if you have a first look, your partner wouldn’t have an the same emotional response when they see you coming down the aisle but that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
A first look is an intimate and emotional experience. It is just between the two of you. One thing I really love about a first look is that I can always see the tension and nerves of the day roll off the couple as they embrace for that first time.
More and more couples are opting for the first look. Majority of our weddings opt for a first look. If you decide to go the traditional route and not see each other before, that will ultimately be your decision. To help you make that decision I have outlined some of the pros for you to consider.
5 Reasons Why You Should Have a First Look
Let’s Chat About Your Wedding!! Set up a call HERE
1. The first look allows you to take most of your photos before the ceremony so that you can enjoy celebrating with your friends and family during cocktail and reception.
2. It helps get rid of some pre-wedding jitters!!
3. It gives you an intimate moment alone with your partner before the big day gets rolling. You can both slow down and take a breath!! Your day will go by quickly and you may not get a moment alone later on.
PRO TIP: MAKE SURE TO DO IT IN A SECLUDED AREA (DON’T WORRY I GOT THIS COVERED. I WILL SCOUT OUT THE PERFECT SPOT FOR YOU!)
4. During shorter winter months, having time aside for first look gives you an opportunity to get all your beautiful portraits done early so you have plenty of time to capture those amazing golden hour sunset photos as a couple.
5. If you plan to take photos after the ceremony, you can also look at the first look as a chance to take some more photos of just the two of you if you are photo obsessed like me.
PRO TIP: I CAN EVEN HELP YOU FIND A DIFFERENT LOCATION NOT AT THE VENUE BUT ALSO NOT TOO FAR AWAY FROM YOUR VENUE, SO YOU CAN HAVE SOME VARIETY IN YOUR PHOTOS
Want to see more images of some swoon worthy first looks? Check out this post by BRIDES